Friday, July 2, 2010

Beans Bourguignon

Beans Bourguignon

Beef Bourguignon is practically synonymous with French cooking. This classic French stew, rich with red wine and thickened with beurre manie {"kneaded butter"}, is given a vegan makeover and makes its glamorous reappearance as Beans Bourguignon {page 253}. Tender red kidney beans stand in for the traditional cow's flesh, and vegan margarine is kneaded with flour to make a vegan beurre manie.

Don't let the genre frighten you - this recipe was easy peasy to throw together. I had it on the table in just over 30 minutes! Additionally, it's made from inexpensive ingredients {depending on the wine you choose} and is a one-pot meal. Although it can be eaten as a stew, I found it especially good served over egg-free wide noodles.

The flavors were complex and deep, and only improved in the fridge, making leftovers of this stew absolutely delightful {which is convenient, as the stew made quite a lot}. Even though I made this and enjoyed it in the dead of summer {not sure what I was thinking}, I think this would be especially good served in the cool fall or winter months, with some crusty bread for sopping up the delicious broth. The ultimate comfort food - French-style!

Bon appetit!

-- Your Friendly Neighborhood Batgirl

4 comments:

  1. Nice pic! This was one of the first recipes I made from 1000 Vegan Recipes and liked it a whole lot. I'll definitely be trying a few more after browsing through some of the earlier posts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get those noodles!!!!!!! What kind? I've been trying to find egg-free noodles like that for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin: I'm ashamed to admit it, but they're from Wal*Mart. Ninjahusband found them there once and brought them home, and I've never been able to find them anywhere else. They are "Great Value" brand, called "Egg-Free Noodles" or something like that. White bag, blue lettering.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails