Monday, October 19, 2009

Roasted Vegetable Strudel

Roasted Vegetable Strudel
My initial foray into the book was the recipe for Roasted Vegetable Strudel (p333). All of the ingredients were easily obtainable from a regular grocery store--just loads of fresh veggies, beans, and phyllo dough. I had some leftover Great Northerns in the freezer, so I just used those.

This recipe is straightforward and simple to follow. Dice, roast, mix, roll, bake! It's a bit time-consuming for a weeknight, so unless you work from home or are a bum, I recommend getting an early start or saving this one for a weekend, or at least not a busy weeknight. From the assembling of ingredients to cutting the first slice, I would estimate the strudel took approximately an hour and 45 minutes--but remember--most of that time is not hands-on, so it's really not all that involved. The only substitution made was the use of baby bellas in place of the white mushrooms called for in the recipe.

Interestingly, the recipe states that it makes 4-6 servings and is written to make one strudel--I don't know if it was magic or what, but I wound up with 2 1/2. This is not a bad thing by any means. The strudel is as strudel should be--flaky, buttery (thanks to the Earth Balance), and full of roasted vegetable deliciousness. It's a light meal that goes great with a side salad, and would make a nice luncheon dish for company. You could easily vary the vegetables used according to what's in season and in your fridge.


--The Divine Miss V

3 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic! Roasted vegetables with flakey and "buttery" pastry -- sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I wanna see this on the table for one of the many festive occasions in my immediate future; it looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this & love it. I would recommend watching a video on working with phyllo if you have no experience with it. Also, I found it did make way more vegetables, so you can prepare to make more then the recommended servings. I forgot to mash the beans, but it was ok. Very time consuming cutting the vegetables, so I also would say to do it when you have time. I had a Sauvignon Blanc with it. Very good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails