Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ginger-Pear Tart with Cranberries and Walnuts

Ginger-Pear Tart with Cranberries and Walnuts

One of my best friends is named Ginger, and fittingly, she loves food made with ginger. For the Friends Thanksgiving Dinner that my best friends and I had today, I knew that Ginger-Pear Tart with Cranberries and Walnut {page 469} was perfect -- both for the season and for G-licious.

The tart dough came together perfectly, rolled out easily, and was plenty to fill the tart pan and press into the edges. The pear filling was delicious, but made too much to fit in the standard 9" tart pan that is called for in the recipe. I mounded the filling quite high, and still ended up throwing out at least 1/4 of the filling.

My main issue with the recipe was the topping. Overall it was a good idea, but just didn't work out properly. The recipe said to bake the tart uncovered, and at that high temperature for that long, the walnuts and cranberries were burnt black. They tasted like poison. I picked out the ones I could get to, and warned everyone not to eat any others they might find. I sprinkled some uncharred cranberries on the top for flavor and color, and that helped quite a bit.

The whole tart was actually very delicious, minus the cranberries and walnuts. I would definitely make it again. However, I wouldn't add the walnuts and cranberries until the last few minutes of baking.

-- Your Friendly Neighborhood Batgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails