Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mango-Avocado Spring Rolls

Mango-Avocado Spring Rolls

I am a great lover of spring rolls {in my household we call them "summer rolls", to differentiate them from their fried cousins}. I usually make mine with mandarin oranges and sprouts. Upon discovering the presence of leftover rice paper and rice noodles in my cupboard, I was excited to make Mango-Avocado Spring Rolls {page 25}.

I took all the components to my friend Jess' house, as I thought it would be a fun activity for us to do for dinner. The only hitch in the plan was that it is not really mango season here, and it turns out that the mango I bought was reallllly gross and not ripe. So, we had to omit the mango, which omitted some of the sweetness and a layer of flavor, but the rolls were still really good. I had a lot of fun teaching her to soften the rice papers and how to roll all the fillings in tightly.

We ate the rolls with a sweet stir-together peanut sauce. They were delicious. I really enjoyed the creaminess that the avocados added. I think I will start adding avocado to all my spring/summer rolls from now on.

-- Your Friendly Neighborhood Batgirl

2 comments:

  1. I call them summer rolls as well. That's too bad about your mango--but few things are as icky as bad mango, so good call on skipping it. They still look and sound d-lish.

    There's a roll recipe in the book I've had marked almost since the beginning, and having checked three different places, apparently I have to make a special trip to an Asian grocery to obtain rice wrappers. This bugs me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how summer rolls make you play peekaboo with what's inside. An easy, delicious mystery!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails