Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mylie's Secret Queso Dip

Mylie's Secret Queso Dip

I'll admit, it was the title that drew me in. Anything with the word "secret" in it makes me feel like I'm on some sort of secret mission about to commit some espionage. Wait...do you commit espionage? I don't even know. Things to look up later...

In any event, Mylie's Secret Queso Dip {page 13} seemed like a perfect thing to make on Friday the 13th. After all...it was shrouded with mystery and intrigue {and on page 13}. Did I mention I have OCD? I do. Just a little. A lot.

Annnnnyway, so the dip was a little disappointing. While you're making it, the recipe alerts you that you may need to use more soymilk than is listed, which is accurate. I had to use twice the listed soymilk, and probably could have used even a little more. I was expecting the dip to be a spicy cheese dip with some flecks of tomatoes and chiles throughout. Instead it was kind of a big tomatoey spicy goo thing. Remember the Lasagna Pinwheels I made a few days ago? Well I think all the flavor from that recipe ran away from the page and leaped onto this one. There is way too much seasoning in it, to the point that it pretty much just tastes like you dumped your whole spice rack in there. It doesn't taste cheesy at all, just spicy and tomatoey. Not spicy as in hot...but spicy as in...lots of spices. I don't know how else to describe it.

Me, the Ninjahusband, and the Supertoddler all had several chips with the dip on them, and it was edible, mostly. I mean, it wasn't terrible or really all that bad, it just wasn't good. Ninjahusband liked it best, I think, but he said that he wouldn't really call it a queso.

I feel like I'm a terrible person always giving all the bad reviews. With a book with 1000 recipes in it, there are bound to be some that are better than others. Maybe I just know how to pick the ones that are a little lackluster.

On second thought, it could be that I'm a rather fussy eater. Maybe I will give this another go sometime, to make sure that I followed all the directions correctly. Or you know, maybe not.

-- Your Friendly Neighborhood Batgirl {who is sometimes the meanie on the schoolyard}

5 comments:

  1. I think you conduct espionage. ;D A wonderful activity.

    Lame that it wasn't all that, but it looks very appetizing with those avocado slices on there. Nom, 'cado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's too bad! I was eyeing that one too.

    I just looked at the recipe and there's got to be a typo with the liquid since it is a lower ratio than dry which doesn't make sense especially since n. yeast is a natural thickener.

    I wonder if it would be worth it to ask Robin about this and whether it is a typo along with the tempeh teriyaki?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happened to have been one of the testers for this recipe so I thought I'd comment. This didn't taste like some of those "healthier" queso recipes; it was richer. We liked the spice combo a lot, but it's possible that we like spicier food than some people. If you think about it, it's only 4 spices wich isn't any more than a typical scramble, and they came across as balanced considering the base recipe ingredients. As with any cookbook, cooking to taste seems to be the key. I tend to view any recipe as a starting point and go from there. Of course, tastes vary a lot and not everyone can like everything. It's worth giving it another go, reducing the spices if you prefer, but then again, with 1000 recipes to choose from, the options are endless.

    This is such a cool project and I'm enjoying reading all the posts and comments on the recipes from this book. Thanks to all of you for putting it together. It's fun to track all you've cooked and compare them to my own tests and what I'm still making. Keep on cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tami, thanks for the feedback. I didn't make this (yet) but I was wondering if it was supposed to be that thick?

    Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine was thick, but not as thick as batgirl's. If it had been, I would have added a little more soy milk to get it to the consistency I wanted.

    It's wonderful to see the photos of all the dishes I haven't tried yet, so I'm definitely here for the duration. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails