Saturday, November 14, 2009

(Not) Radiatore with Aurora Sauce

Pasta with Aurora Sauce

I wanted a quick fast dinner with simple ingredients, but the finished dish still had to be delicious. Flipping through the book I decided to make Radiatore with Aurora Sauce (page 196). Clearly that pasta above is not radiatore, but linguine. I didn't have any smallish pasta, but I didn't let that stop me. The sauce, while best with radiatore or even penne, still works great with long pasta.

Pre-vegan I used to make pasta with a tomato cream sauce a lot. Back then I used half & half reduced and mixed with a tomato basil sauce. Really simple but enjoyed by many. Post-vegan, I never really thought to make it again until now.

The sauce came together really quickly. Just aromatics, a large can of crushed tomatoes and herbs. I did add a teaspoon of sugar to cut the acidity because I pretty much always add a spoon of sugar to all my tomato-based sauces. For the cream part I used Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese. There's an option to use silken tofu as well but I wanted a richer taste so I went with the Tofutti. You could also use unsweetened and reduced soy creamer or a thick cashew cream. Really, you just need something creamy and rich. I also took the liberty of throwing in some baby spinach from our CSA share while it was simmering. The dish was tasty with a great balance of tomato with cream. You can't go wrong with a tomato cream sauce. Well, unless you hate tomatoes. And cream. :p

For the ingredients, use the very best crushed tomatoes you can get. The quality of the tomatoes can easily make or break a sauce. I like the imported Italian brand crushed tomatoes which taste far superior to many regular grocery story brands.

This recipe is marked fast and you could have it on the table in 30 minutes or less. Start preparing the sauce when you put your pasta water on the stove. Everything should stop cooking at roughly the same time and you've have a delicious plate of pasta that is a little different than just plain old marinara.

— Ms. Veganorama

____________

ETA: In less than one month, we've gone through over 100 recipes. Big round of applause to everyone! :)


1 comment:

  1. Woo! Break out the festive drinks to celebrate! Congrats to all. Thanks to everyone for all the hard work, keeping us all out here on the Interwebs drooling and coveting your meals and snacks. :-)

    P.S. <3 pasta!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails