Monday, October 26, 2009

Banana-Walnut Cake with "Cream Cheese" Frosting

Banana-Walnut Cake w/ "Cream Cheese" Frosting

One of the most delicious and elegant desserts I've had in a long time, Banana-Walnut Cake {page 448} with "Cream Cheese" Frosting {page 502} was a smash hit.

Last night I was playing match maker, and setting my youngest sister up with a cute, nice boy from the neighborhood. I'd invited both over for dessert, and wanted to make something special for the occasion. This cake definitely fit the bill.

Upon first glance of the recipe, the cake looks simple and even pedestrian in nature. However, it was anything but. The cake was simultaneously dense but delicate, decadent but not overly sweet. The cream cheese frosting went with it perfectly, and the last minute topping decision of bananas and extra walnuts was perfect.

I decided to be "fancy" and punch out little circles of the frosted cake, rather than serve standard squares. I feel like that really upped the ante as far as presentation went.

Overall, it was great. In fact, Ninjahusband just leaned over and told me again how much he'd liked the cake, and that I should make it again soon. Victory!

-- Your Friendly Neighborhood Batgirl

7 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely fantastic! As is your presentation. When I make this (and I will, at some point, it sounds too delectable), I'll definitely be punching it out like that too. What'd you do it with? A glass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A biscuit cutter. I needed something that allowed me to gently push the circle out onto the plate. It was too sticky to come out on its own. It wasn't a fool-proof idea, but it worked. I think a cookie cutter would have also done nicely, if the Supertoddler hadn't ravaged all of mine into unrecognizable shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty! But it's still bananas. :p

    I wonder how the cake and the muffins differ? I don't have my book on me right now, but I'm curious to see the difference between the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... that looks fantastic. I do like banana cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious: does the frosting used prepared cream cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm, that looks nomtastic! i'm tempted to use the "m" word, but i will refrain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassandra: Yes, it calls for "vegan cream cheese". I used Tofutti.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails