Monday, October 26, 2009

Garden Scramble

Garden Scramble

Tofu scramble is one of those dishes that everyone has their own version of. I like to try other peoples' versions, as I feel like someone's preferred tofu scramble says a lot about them as a person. Naturally, I had to give Garden Scramble {page 507} a try.

The method of creating the scramble {crumbling the tofu and mixing in spices before putting in the pan} was foreign to me, but in the end I really ended up liking it. I felt like through this method, the tofu got a bit more "minced up" than I usually like mine, but it made for an interesting change of pace.

I was going to serve it with "sausage", but by the time the scramble was done I wanted to eat it right then and wasn't patient enough to wait for the sausage. I barely had enough patience to wait for the bread in the toaster and throw some juice and glasses on the table. The things you feel obliged to do when you're a wife/mother! I'll have you know, if I was single I'd have been eating it out of the pan over the sink; it smelled so amazing I definitely wouldn't have taken the time to sit down if I'd had no one to "impress".

Over all, a good rendition on the standard scrambled tofu. An awesome staple recipe to have in the book.

-- Your Friendly Neighborhood Batgirl

5 comments:

  1. Hmm. Interesting note on mixing the tofu with the spices prior to putting in the pan. That makes sense though--all the more time to blend.

    And I like my tofu fairly "minced up." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting method. Usually I throw a bunch of spices together and mix with a little bit of water and then throw it it into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the day before everyone had a scramble recipe, I totally made my own by just mashing up the tofu in a bowl and adding whatever spices I wanted. The flavor can really seep in -- it's too late in the pan; you don't have enough time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never make tofu scramble the same way-I eyeball the seasonings and use whatever veggies I have. I wonder what that says about me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this over the weekend - delicious! I did not have the cremini mushrooms (and I am not a mushroom fan anyway) so I threw in some chopped fresh spinach. It wilted up nicely and added some extra color and nutrition.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails