Saturday, October 31, 2009

Parsley and Sunflower Pesto

Parsley Sunflower Pesto

Do you ever by fresh herbs for a recipe and then have to figure out how to use the rest? Yeah, me too. I bought fresh parsley and only needed two tablespoons. That's a lot of extra parsley! So I decided to look for a recipe that would use it up. Lo and behold I found the Parsley and Sunflower Pesto on page 567.

I had to buy sunflower seeds for this recipe. It calls for unsalted. I wasn't sure whether or not to get raw or roasted. The health food store only had raw unsalted so I got those. I made it with half toasted and half raw, figuring the toasted ones would add flavor and the raw ones would make it creamy. Everything else I had on hand, except the optional white miso. I used two garlic cloves but one was a giant mutant clove, so the resulting pesto came out very garlicy. This is not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. I love garlic almost as much as I love nachos-and that is saying something.

I decided to use the pesto on whole wheat rotini and added some soaked sun dried tomatoes for a bit of extra flavor and color. It was very delicious and surprisingly filling. One small bowl filled me up quite nicely. I would definitely make this again in order to use up parsley. It was rich and garlicy and the sunflower seeds made it nice and creamy. I wasn't sure how I would feel about all that parsley, but in this combination I found myself liking the little hints that peeked through the garlic.

-- vegankitty

3 comments:

  1. I'm also going to have to give this a try. I've been eyeing all the pesto recipes in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I usually only buy fresh basil because I know I'll have no problem using that, but I should branch out (was that a pun? har har.).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I love parsley so much that when I was a kid, my whole family would pass me their parsely garnishes in restaurants! Will have to look into this further...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails