Thursday, October 29, 2009

Johnnycakes

Johnnycakes

Johnnycakes {page 517} are delicate little corn pancakes of happiness. With pure maple syrup and Earth Balance, and a few pomegranate seeds sprinkled over everything, these were a delicious, hearty, and filling dinner. They were extremely quick to put together and they cooked up in no time flat. The Supertoddler and I both thought they were delicious.

It's funny how toddlers will mimic you when you least expect it. The Supertoddler often watches me plate and photograph my food, being that I've done a lot of recipe testing for cookbooks in the past, and now I have this blog and another that I post to. Tonight as I was plating and photographing dinner, he said "What you doin' mommy?" I said "Plating the food." He watched me intently, and when I was finished plating and photographing, I started plating his food. He's very much in a "I do it self!" phase right now, being 2-and-a-half, and he said "No! I plate it self!"

He worked on it very hard for about 5 minutes, arranging the Johnnycakes, adding pats of Earth Balance, pouring syrup down over top, and even sprinkling some "peas" {pomegranate seeds} on his plate:

Oliver very intent on his plating.

After a lot of concentration, he decided it was finished and said "Okay, now I go get my camera! I put the picture on mommy's laptop!" And what could I do? So here is the Supertoddler, so proud of his plating skills:

Oliver proud of his plating.

Like mother, like son.

-- Your Friendly Neighborhood Batgirl

5 comments:

  1. That is so adorably sweet I think I just got like ten cavities. <3333

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I do think you have a chef, or a food stylist (or both) in the making. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Supertoddler! And by the way, your first pic is excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails