Thursday, October 29, 2009

Black Bean and Pumpkin Lasagna


Lasagna's never gonna look as great in pictures as it tastes in person. But looks are hardly relevant when it comes to the Black Bean and Pumpkin Lasagna (page 219). Sure, the combination sounds a little weird, but pumpkin, black beans, and salsa, it turns out, make wonderful bakefellows.

My minor modifications were circumstantial rather than deliberate. The chili powder I had was from a nearby Middle Eastern store and I felt it lacked sharpness, so I sprinkled a tiny pinch of cayenne along with it. I had more like two cups of salsa instead of three (which worked out well, since I had hot salsa and any more may've overpowered the rest of the flavors). I also used fewer lasagna noodles than the recipe called for, probably because of a difference in sizes. (I also had those already-boiled ones, not out of laziness, just what I found.)

The flavors are deep and comforting, absolutely perfect for autumn. And it's even better after it's cooled a while and some of the salsa's sharpness has calmed, letting the other flavors mingle and shine through. (Or a mild salsa can be used for those with more sensitive palates; I personally enjoy the bite.) It's a solid, comforting dish with just enough of a twist to make it delightfully unique. I'd happily make this for company.

(And those 1-step lasagna noodles are great; they came out perfectly tasty! My grab-it brand was Pasta Vigo – it's blue with an Italian lady and some wheat.)

- - Ulpia, part of the lasagna fanclub just like Garfield - -

5 comments:

  1. I was wondering about this combo as well and glad to hear it tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG yum! I think that picture looks extremely pretty, I don't know what you're talking about, lasagna not being photogenic. Pshaw, I say!

    You've inspired me to put lasagna on the menu this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, Garfield and I are looking forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks good to me! I love lasagna. And pumpkin. And beans. So why not all together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not trying to be overly dramatic here, but that looks so. fucking. good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails