Thursday, October 22, 2009

Corn Fritters

20091021_CornFritters

Tonight was one of those nights that I really didn't feel like cooking much. I had a ton of produce that needed to be used up but I didn't want a salad, but I did want pico de gallo and avocado. I needed something quick that would go along well with those two items. Flipping through the book, I saw that I had bookmarked Corn Fritters (page 366) and thought, "hm, that would go well with the avocado and pico de gallo". Best of all, I had all the ingredients on hand.

The recipe is marked fast, and it certainly is. You could have this on the table from start to finish in about 15-20 minutes. When working with the batter, it may seem a bit dry at first but resist adding more liquid until you've mixed in the corn (I used frozen). The corn added in extra moisture and I think I added in only about a tablespoon of extra soy milk to have a nice thick batter.

After you mix everything up, taste the batter to see if you want more salt or perhaps to add in additional herbs and spices. The only seasonings in the basic recipe are salt and a pinch of sugar allowing you to serve this both as a savoury dish or a sweet dish with maple syrup. It also opens you up to customise it however you'd like. I am definitely a salt person so I added in more salt. I think that if I had used fresh corn, I wouldn't have added in extra salt so the fresh corn could shine through. Do taste and adjust to your liking.

The fritters fried up fairly quickly (just a couple of minutes on each side) and yielded 10, though it should be more like 12 since I was a bit heavy handed with a few. Fresh out of the pan, they were already delicious and bursting with corn (the proportion of batter to corn is about 1:2). Crispy on the outside and moist and fluffy on the inside like a good fritter should be.

I served this as an entree (5 fritters each) with a little more sea salt & black pepper alongside some fresh pico de gallo, sliced avocado and sprinkled with some cilantro. Everything went together so well but I do wish that I had some vegan sour cream on hand. That would have topped everything off nicely. Next time though!

— Ms. Veganorama

4 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails